PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Teaching Moments and Vintage Love

One of our biggest challenges as mommies is taking the opportunity to teach our child rather than just be the authority in their life. I know this to be true for myself anyways.

I have a very very very strong willed child named Abigail. She is incredibly smart but takes that to an advantage that gets her into trouble. There has been this stand off with her and on lately and I have grown tried of it. I decided I needed to change my method and instead of demanding her to behave; I would show her why it is important to listen to her mommy.

The other day she was in one of her "I am not going to listen to you no matter what" moods. Normally I would engage in a tug a war that ended up in tears or frustration. I decided I would teach her logic. This battle is often over what she is going to wear for the day. She is the middle child and has grown up with a big brother and older male cousins. She wants to be just like them. This looks like her wearing her brothers shirts, shorts, shoes, and even underwear. When it first started happening I thought it was cute. Cuteness wore off quickly because to leave the house to go somewhere always ended in a screaming fit because I would have her wear her own shorts and shirts. Seriously, I am not even making her wear the cute skirts and headbands that she has in her wardrobe.

So, I sensed the battle ensuing and decided to talk with her about the special parts of being a girl. (No I didn't teach her anything crazy) I just showed her how it's fun to be a girl and dress like a girl. I swear just because I didn't engage in a fight with her. She promptly put on her outfit. Let me  do her hair and away we went to grocery shop.

Sometimes mommyhood is just taking a moment to encourage our little one in the place they are at rather than thinking they just need to obey. I don't know if this lesson was for any of you, but I know it was for me:)


So I did get some new items made this week for the boutique, La Bella Petite. Check out this vintage piece.

Vintage Rolled Rosette






 


1 comment:

S.H. said...

great parenting message! thanks for sharing.